- Accept that there isn’t one perfect shade of red for every girl. There are so many shades of red lipstick, there’s no way just one can be perfect for every skin tone. The best way to find yours is to try on as many as possible, take a look in the mirror and decide which shade(s) makes you look fresher, brighter and more radiant. Snap pics on your phone to compare shades and ask for help from a saleswoman if you feel like you’re striking out.
- Don’t over do it. When wearing a red lip, the rest of your makeup should be casual and simple. A lot of eye makeup will not only make you look like a circus clown, but it’ll also make you look older—and not in a good way. Bottom line: don’t go overboard
- Smooth out your lips. Red lipstick can draw attention to chapped lips, which you def don’t want to be exaggerated. Rubbing your lips in circular motion with a soft toothbrush will remove dead skin and prep your lips for lipstick. Your pout will pop for all the right reasons if it’s smooth and soft before you apply color.
- Outline your lips with a highlighter. Make your lips really pop by applying a light concealer or highlighter around the center of your mouth. Softly blend the outer edges of the lines for a natural look. This will draw the attention to your lips and create a beautiful contrast between your red lip and natural skin tone.
- Add lip liner. Lip liner works to fill the grooves of your lips, providing a totally smooth canvas for the lipstick. Trace the inner edges of your lips with liner to give a more defined line. Then, fill in the rest of your lips with the liner and apply a smooth, even coat of lipstick over it. Rub your lips together, blot away the extra lipstick, and voila! You’re ready to show off your awesome red lipstick wherever you’re headed.